1508 College Street
P.O. Box 190
Newberry, SC 29108
DUI and Related Offenses
Driving Under the Influence is one of the most commonly charged criminal offenses and can have serious, long-lasting consequences. While first offenses are often handled in Magistrate’s Court or Municipal Court, a DUI conviction is not a trivial matter.
The laws of South Carolina for DUI (or Driving With An Unlawful Alcohol Concentration – “DUAC”) are unique in many ways and a DUI charge often results in an immediate license suspension for a high reading on the Datamaster DMT, also known as the Breathalyzer, or for a refusal to submit to testing. In addition, a DUI conviction may result in:
- Fines totalling thousands of dollars
- Mandatory installation of an Ignition Interlock Device
- Mandatory Counseling (and payment for same)
- Travel Restrictions
- Loss of employment
- A criminal history that can never be expunged from your record
You need an attorney…and you need one fast. Choosing the right attorney fast is paramount to getting the most favorable outcome possible. How you choose an attorney is important. We recommend asking locals – friends, restaurant and bar owners, other business people, tow truck drivers, or even law enforcement. Don’t just call the first attorney that pops up in your Google search. Beware of anyone who guarantees a certain result and when you meet with a potential attorney, ask the following questions:
- Are you trained and certified in the standardized field sobriety tests?
- Have you received special training on the Datamaster DMT (current “Breathalyzer” utilized by all South Carolina agencies)?
- Have you received training on Drug Recognition Evaluators? (“Experts” on identifying prescription or other drugged driving offenses)
- If necessary, will you go to trial for the quoted fee or is that extra?
Chad Jenkins, our attorney responsible for handling criminal matters, including DUI charges, has attended numerous classes and seminars relating to DUI defense. He is certified to administer the standardized field sobriety tests, has extensive training on Datamaster DMT testing and Drug Recognition Evaluations, and is willing to take your case to trial if needed. In addition, Chad is a member of the South Carolina Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, National College of DUI Defense, and other organizations dedicated to protecting your rights. Chad handles DUI and other criminal charges in Newberry, Saluda, Laurens, Union, Clinton, and other neighboring counties. There is no charge for the initial consultation to discuss your rights and options on criminal cases . Call us today at (803)276-2532.